Monday, August 6, 2007

MAPPING

I CAN'T RESIST! 'The things we think, but do not say.'

It's almost 3:00 a.m. and had a thought. As you get to know me you will hear me reference"ME" time. I refer to this as my own personal time away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday crap. "ME" occurs anywhere and anytime in space, any little time I can take to have a thought about why we are on this planet and how Architecture and the Urban and Suburban Social experiences create us or defines our being. As I start to digest task one, my first image is a map, I don't even think about the product, but my physical place on a map. Maybe this is because when we visualize something we see ourselves participating or being somewhere. After reading "Have a seat" by Caroline Woolard, "Clusterings" by Kurt Bigenho and "Else/Where:Mapping, it seems as if they were trying to create their own space, alternative or place less behavior.

My point of departure on this mapping trip is actually a predecessor to "Researching" that I've defined as a trigger point for the desire for the acquisition, or "Initiation". Typically this occurs in most people during "ME" time or Subconscious. The Subconscious as I interpret it occurs when we sleep, eat, drink, etc. A casual observation of an advertisement or seeing someone else with a product may trigger Initiation. Moving toward the process of Researching is not only to obtain technical data on the product, but already programming how you will be utilizing that object (consciousness).

Subconscious living of this object to be acquired exists within our subconscious, in its own space in time, a space in time that no one else belongs. I am not saying we are Zombies, but we almost never tell the person walking next to you what you are thinking, unless is someone close to you, because that person is perhaps considered part of your "ME". This place on the map burns an image similar to "THE PERSISTENCE OF MEMORY" by Salvador Dali. For me, traveling from departure to destination is representative of the journey from subconsciousness to consciousness.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am eager to see what you create. By far this recent posting has helped me and I thank you. Perhaps the problem for many of us is the way we define “ME”. I do not look for that definition from a product or place. I can exist anywhere and with anything. That said, there are preferred means of which my existence will transpire because of personal preference and while I may grow to love my new Apple product I did not NEED it to be “ME” or to put “ME” on the map. I wonder if anyone else was as reluctant as I to become defined or to buy into such a promise.

Matt Anderle said...

Eddie,

Thanks for the insightful post. I find "ME" time very helpful. I can collect thoughts, reflect, and create. I see your point where the subconsious can lead us to make decisions and as we all try to make sure our choices are part of concious thought, it not always happens that way.

Thank you Kara for stating, "I do not look for that definition from a product or place." I know people who define themselves by showing others their recently acquired products and I am the person who has it for 6 weeks before anyone knows because I have it for me to better "Me" or my life. I look forward to seeing your sketches.

Matt Anderle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.