Monday, September 3, 2007

LIMBO

I am somewhat in limbo, struggling between going digital and skipping the paper and scanning process. I will still sketch, but going to AutoCAD for the plans, elevations and sections cuts down the process of scanning, especially if I need to be to scale.

Anyhow, I've been researching a bit about Le Corbusier and the "plant libre", the superficial definition of the wall, the plastic condition of the ground floor and the virtual box as the edge of the environment.

My ground floor is continuing to be abstract in its use, therefore creating an urban stage for the user to casually occupy it as one big urban living room.

The exterior walls continue as before, a clear skin revealing the interior of the hovering store or umbrella over its use. In the "plant libre" the superficial definition of the wall is diluted on a white immaterial canvas. In the case of the store the canvas is diluted to reveal the animation of the store for seeing and be seen.

The openings in the slab remain, however they are all the same size and hold the same shape all the way up. The openings in the slab and its treatment of open vs. opaque vs. clear skilight are to create vertical continuity, also for seeing and been seen.

I've decided to enclose the mezzanine or harvesting level with blue glass and compact its height from 18'-0" to 12'-0". What do you guys think? I thought that by enclosing and compacting the level it would enhance the metaphor of the workers operating at a place behind the scenes. Sort of like the working bees building for the Queen mother.

I will be introducing columns to suppor the super structure, however in contrast to Le Corbusier's and/or Mies orthogonal grid I will be slanting the columns. The purpose of slanting the columns is to emphasize that every level is a different environment. Ie. Column "A" at the ground level will be at coordinates 10',10' and at the harvesting level column "A" will be at 12',10'. In appearance, this seems to tie in to the angles of the structural web holding up the glass slabs of the experience and roofscape level.

I have edited the doors to two methods of opening. The corner doors remain as monumental pivot doors that open to reveal the Genius Bar, the other doors will retract to create a canopy over the passerby. I still have to work the reality of building 24'-0" retractable glass doors. Where is my buddy David S? I thought these two methods create the perfect setting for creating that urban living room weather permit. For when the weather gets challenging, the pivot doors will be the main access to the store.



SOUTH ELEVATION
CROSS SECTION - AA

Program breakdown:
  • Roofscape: Apple visitor

  • Experience level: Retail floor for purchasing Apple products and one on one customer + sales associate interaction

Mezzanine (Harvesting) level: Display of Apple products and accessed only by Apple staff.

Ground level:Start of Genius Bar, prototype coccoon, workshops, reserve and use your Apple product.


Genius bar: G1 to G5 - Levels vary depending on difficulty of software + hardware problem.



5 comments:

bac dmarch said...

Eddie,

The proportions are developing nicely. The colored glass gives me a bit of concern as it seems so out of character. However, I think it follows some of the comments in the Rowe / Slutsky article on transparency. So keep at it.

The rectangular skylight at the roof seems more refined and less formally forced. The idea stays more unified with this level of simplicity.

I also think editing the door types to two is a smart move. Again editing allows the idea to be clear and less distracted by dynamics.

That being said; I wonder if you can differentiate the ground plane a bit more. I am not sure if it's clear when a person transitions from audience member to actor. Should there be a threshold that provides evidence of this experience? The first couple of steps on the stair do this, but I am thinking about the street plane. Maybe stone slabs come into play here and there which, in one way become a surface to close the glass wall against, and in another way they become benches for audience members. A tactic like this will also help you define an entrance(s) so the path into the store is more intentional.

Amr Raafat said...

Hello Eddie,

I like alot your Idea of harvesting, as it gives apple products some sort of necessity, I don't know why, but the word harvesting is very related to an apple, earth and life!

However, I am surprised why the harvesting not in the end (top) of the story? when I see your program breakdown, I see the product harvesting in the middle!

I wonder if you would Illustrate why Harvesting in the middle in diagrams?

I think that your program breakdown is a key in your project,

"as you saw so will you reap" perhaps harvest!!

once you would illustrate the harvesting story in more diagrams , it could be very useful and revealing.

I wonder why you have monumental stairs? your simplicity in the design is very impressive so far. simplicity that is so deep in its complexity.

Today I was in New York , I been to the apple store next to central park, in my "site visual aspect " point of view , I think the transparent glass is hardly noticeable there , so your colored glass may be a good solution (visually) I still think that " emotionally " transparency always more well received to the heart,
The heart that makes the eye works!

I wonder if G1 to G5 levels that vary "depending on the software difficulty" vary as volumes too? 3d or even 4d???

looking forward to enjoy the
I-harvesting accomplished before the winter!

Rick E said...

Eddie:

I like the sound of the umbrella covering the indoor/outdoor space. I would love to be in that kind of space on a nice day when it is all opened up.

I am worried that the blue glass in the mezzanine is in conflict with the concept of seeing and being seen. The idea of the workers being actors on a stage seems was better expressed with clear glass. (Should this level have stage lighting?)

You shouldn’t worry about opening your retractable doors. You will be in good company, Santiago Calatrava has created very large movable glass such as in The City of Arts Cinema-Planetarium in Valencia, Spain.

Jaclyn said...

Eddie,
I think your decision to reduce the height in the mezzanine is a good one. I have a question about this space. Is it possible for the consumer to view this as they travel to the third floor? Can they dwell and on look for awhile or are they forced upstairs? I know it isn’t accessible to the consumer but it might be a place of interest for the consumer. You mentioned in your post about it is the behind the scenes area and it seems that viewers are always interested in how things are accomplished. Let me know when you get a chance.

One more thought. I think you mentioned at one time that the stairs on the gound floor were what put the consumer on the stage. Am I correct in this? If so, what makes them feel like they are on stage. Is there something different about that space?

-Jaclyn

Gus G.-Angulo said...

Eddie,
Just like Amr, I really like some of your ideas:
The “staging” “stratification” is helping you to define your project, this gives the idea progression and evolution that to some degree you are trying to show in your project
The transparency concept you are working on, not just as a material issue but as a concept of seeing and being see
The “garage” feeling you are giving to the ground level, that allows you to open the space and create the plaza effect you are looking for
Gus